Practice Aptitude Tests is not associated with Bain & Company. We provide preparation services for Bain & Company psychometric tests. Visit https://www.bain.com/careers/ to apply.
Bain & Company Tests
Bain & Company is one of the three largest global strategy consulting firms when ranked by revenue. Set up in 1973, Bain & Company offers management consulting services primarily to Fortune 500 CEOs. It ranks highly for employee satisfaction, consistently winning awards for company culture.
Within two hours of practice I have improved my score from 50% correct to 88%.Joseph used Practice Aptitude Tests to improve his numerical reasoning scores. Start your success story
Bain & Company Interviews
The number and content of the interviews will depend on the role, and you may face one or more of the interview types twice, in both first and second rounds of the process.
Prepare thoroughly, and particularly in advance of the case and/or written case interview, take the following points into consideration:
- There is no one correct answer - you need a persuasive recommendation and to be able to participate comprehensively in a discussion.
- Prioritization and timing is crucial - you will have limited preparation time, so you will need to only use the key case slides and information
- Only include key details in your summary; save the detail for the discussion.
- Make sure you include data and can quantify what is needed.
- Your recommendation must be something that can be implemented.
- Make sure to take into account both sides of the discussion – be prepared to address the weaknesses as well.
The experience interview is where you’ll be asked questions to gain a better understanding of your career goals and background. You should expect the questions to broadly fit the following pattern: expanding on your CV, why consulting and why Bain.
You should use past experiences and describe how you handled them, remembering that Bain is looking to assess your ability in relation to the following characteristics:
- Problem-Solving Skills
- The Ability to Lead
- Results Delivery
You may also be asked to describe a strategic project you’ve worked on previously, including your approach, hypothesis, recommendation and what steps you took. Make sure to prepare a thorough answer to this.
The case interview is integral to the Bain application process and all consulting role candidates can expect one, regardless as to which office they apply. Some non-consulting roles will also sit a case interview.
The case interview presents a ‘real’ client situation – you’ll be given some background information and then asked to work through your analysis of the situation, the approach you take to solving a problem, how you use data to quantify and make recommendations, and how you suggest implementing your plan.
You’ll want to demonstrate analytical and creative thinking, as well as your communication skills in conveying and presenting ideas.
Written case interview
The written case interview is a more in-depth extension of the concept of the case interview. It is used as part of the consultant and summer associate second-round process.
You will be provided with a deck of 20 to 30 slides outlining a client problem to situation. You must review the slides, identify your key insights and then use the rest of your 55 minutes to write out your recommendations.
The interview part lasts around 40 minutes in which you present your recommendations to the interview – following which you will discuss and defend your assumptions and interpretations with the interviewer.
Improve your scores with our intelligent learning system
- Get instant access 24/7 to real life tests
- Track historical test performance with our custom dashboards
- Learn from mistakes with our fully worked solutions
- Prepare for top employers with our bespoke employer packages
- Compare your scores against industry standards