These tests are always a great way to exercise your brain. They provide ways to look at problems from different angles which strengthens cognitive reasoning through exposure to new and diverse ways of thinking.
Deductive Reasoning Tests
A deductive reasoning test assesses your ability to use given information and make logical deductions. The test is not based on any previous knowledge or skills, and is usually presented as a number of word problems with multiple-choice answers.
Prepare yourself for leading employers
Deductive reasoning test formats & example questions
Knowing and understanding the format of the deductive reasoning test will make it less daunting when you have to take one in a job application situation.
The examples below demonstrate some of the deductive reasoning question types you might come across when you are taking a test.
Example Question 1
All footballers are fit and healthy.
All famous sports players are footballers.
Given that the above is true, which of the following is the logical deduction?
- All footballers are famous sports people
- All famous people are fit and healthy
- All famous sports players are fit and healthy
- All fit and healthy people are footballers
- All football players are men
Using deductive reasoning, the only logical answer is 3. To get to this answer, you need to simplify the given facts. All famous sports players are footballers, and all footballers are fit and healthy.
- We can’t deduce that all footballers are famous sports people, as we haven’t got that information.
- We can’t deduce that all famous people are fit and healthy, because the fact is about famous sports people.
- This is the logical answer.
- This information is not given; all footballers are fit and healthy but we can’t logically link that all fit and healthy people are footballers.
- This is obviously incorrect, as gender is not mentioned at all in the question.
Example Question 2
Given the information in the table, is the following statement correct?
There are more men in the warehouse than women.
- Cannot be concluded
According to the data, the answer is 1. There are more men in the warehouse than women.
Example Question 3
In our Sixth Form this year, 94% of students achieved A* to C grades. Last year, 95% of students achieved A* to C grades. The school has said that its new approach to mentoring students has had a brilliant impact on student performance.
Based on the information above, which of the following statements are true?
- Next year, student performance will be less than this year.
- All students taking A-Levels achieved A* to C
- Before last year, no students achieved A* to C
- Before last year, less than 94% of students achieved A* to C
- Every school has seen a rise in student performance.
With the given information, the only logical conclusion is 4.
- The student performance is increasing, so this cannot be correct given the facts.
- In this school 6% of students did not achieve A* to C.
- We do not have the data to make that deduction.
- We know that student performance has increased, so the year before last must have seen results below 94%.
- We do not have the information to deduce performance in other schools.
Within two hours of practice I have improved my score from 50% correct to 88%.Joseph used Practice Aptitude Tests to improve his numerical reasoning scores. Start your success story
Deductive Reasoning Tests Tips
1The facts given are true
Don’t worry if the facts you are given cannot be verified; you are dealing with them as if they are. In the first example above, not all footballers are fit and healthy, and not all famous sports people are footballers.
If you worry about the truth of the statements, you risk bringing your own knowledge into the equation – and that could make it more difficult to logically find the answer.
As mentioned before, taking the given information and simplifying it can make it much easier for you to make the logical deductions needed.
Ignore any ‘waffle’ and try to keep the facts in order – even if they are presented oddly. In the same way, do not try and overcomplicate things.
3The answer is in the question
If at any point in the test you find yourself guessing or trying to reach an answer, it is probably wrong. There is only one right answer, and if you follow the logic in the question, it should be the only one you can reach.
As an addition to this, making an educated guess is better than leaving the question unanswered; remember this is a timed test.
To help you get the right answer quickly, you might find it useful by eliminating the more obvious wrong answers first. This can clarify the situation, making it easier to choose the right answer.
Improve your scores with our intelligent learning system
- Get instant access 24/7 to real life tests
- Track historical test performance with our custom dashboards
- Learn from mistakes with our fully worked solutions
- Prepare for top employers with our bespoke employer packages
- Compare your scores against industry standards
Reviews of our Deductive Reasoning tests
What our customers say about our Deductive Reasoning tests
United States of America
August 16, 2022
Fun and engaging
June 02, 2022
The test was given to me by my English teacher
Interesting test, but still I can't have an idea how it can help me to increase my business English.
May 26, 2022
This test is very engaging and the problems are interesting. There is no wordy language and the questions are concise and precise.
May 19, 2022
The necessary thought process that has to be attached when answering… can’t be on a face value… it’s great
Eveline Tancredo Mussi
May 04, 2022
Pay attention and keep calm
I enjoyed doing my first test ever, and one of the things I learned is how to keep calm and attend to the question and details of shapes.
Kamalraj 5 Canchi bhoopal
April 13, 2022
Confusing and not easy
It's all about sequencing and shapes...which I didn't like..this is my first time taking this kind of test
Osuntoki William Oluwole
March 25, 2022
It's actually fascinating but one will have to think deeply. I abhor nothing in the test; rather I love the logicality.
February 11, 2022
I liked how the test progressively became more challenging. Really struggled with the later questions.
February 10, 2022
I like that the test was quite different and focused on sequence of pattern that was unique to comprehend.
January 30, 2022
Very fun test
Most of the questions were trivial but fun little brain teasers. The final one was a real challenge though